RSV Saga.

We had stayed inside for six whole weeks. I knew a newborn born in the winter just should stay cozy inside.

After six weeks we went to church and then I took Haddon to the grocery store with me, by Tuesday he was coughing and whiney. Since I stay home with the kids I knew there was no way to avoid the germs completely.

I would hold Haddon with him hacking all over me and wiping his snot on my shoulder, then I would change sweaters and go get Verity.

For a couple days I thought we were safe… but then the whole family went down like dominos, including my mom and dad! We all showed the same symptoms and so I knew this nasty virus had to run its course. I took Haddon to the doctor on the Thursday after he started getting sick just to make sure I knew what we were dealing with. “Just a bad respiratory infection”

Since Verity is breastfed I thought her antibodies would be strong enough to fight this thing… they weren’t.

The Tuesday after Haddon started being sick she started coughing. On Wednesday she had a fever and I almost took her to the doctor. They were about to close and said I could take her to the ER if I wanted.

I got off the phone and started crying to Micah that I didn’t want to take my 7 week baby to the ER and that I know my kids are God’s and on loan but I didn’t want Him to remind me anymore.

I got on my knees and prayed hard for her fever to come down. It did. Instantly. I was amazed.

I held off on taking her but decided I’d call the pediatrician again in the morning.

By the next morning she didn’t want to eat and hadn’t had a wet diaper. Her fever wasn’t too bad and she had pooped but I thought maybe she was a little dehydrated so made an appointment.

Her pediatrician thought her lungs sounded pretty good but then they hooked up this oxygen thing to her toe and it wouldn’t read what it was supposed to… the doc told me if they couldn’t get it to read in the 90s we would have to go to the hospital.

photo 2 (2)

After giving her a little bit of oxygen it shot up into the 90s. We had to go to the hospital.

photo 1 (3)

They asked me if I had anyone I wanted to call because we would have to leave my car there and be taken by an ambulance. I lost it. Ambulances just make everything seem more scary don’t they?

photo 3 (2)

I called Micah and told him to meet me at the ER and take Haddon to Shelby. Apparently he dropped him off with one diaper, no shoes, and no coat. We thought we would be back that night…

photo 5 (2)

In the ER, it took 10 different people to try and get an IV in her… finally a NICU nurse was able to get it. I thought Micah might punch someone if they dug one more needle in her.

photo 4 (2)

It was at FMH that I learned about retractions. Verity was working hard to breath. Without the oxygen her levels were in the low 80s. I didn’t even know to look for “retractions” or think about oxygen levels. I thought I was taking her in that day for mild dehydration.

Once they had her settled I went home and packed a bag while Micah held her. They said we would probably be there for 48 hours.

In the middle of the night the doctor woke me up and said they had an update, I half asleep asked her what it was and she told me I needed to sit up for the update.

They told me her levels had dropped and they needed to transfer her. Children’s or Hopkins.

In my stupid sleepy state, I said “right now”? “It’s the middle of the night, can’t we wait till morning?”

When they told me they didn’t have a choice and that if it dropped any lower they might have to intubate her I lost it.

My body went into shock I think… I was shaking and cold and felt like I was going to puke. Not again.

I woke Micah up and told him to pack up our stuff we had to leave.

The transport team from Hopkins got there an hour and a half later. Onto the ambulance we went again.


We spent five days in the PICU at John Hopkins.

photo 2photo 1photo 3

I am so thankful for that hospital. Thank the Lord Verity never needed intubation or more than a cannula and saline drip. It was almost as if we had transferred rooms and doctors. We were there just in case though.

Being there seriously put things into perspective. Our daughter was there for virus. Three codes happened in one evening for three other families.

RSVmiserablephoto 4

We were so loved and prayed for that week and I can’t thank y’all enough.

When we are weak, His strength shows through and it showed through so many of His saints.

Pastors came and prayed, people visited, took care of our son and home, sent gift cards, etc.

This life is fleeting. This world is fallen. We are a needy people. I am continually reminded of it.

Thank God for the gift of His grace, His son. We are home, healthy, and happy to be together.

photo 5


Posted on February 3, 2015, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: